Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Inferno Part I

I particularly like the third Canto of this book, mostly because I love the inscription on the gates of hell. I think that this truly sets the stage for the journey we are about to take (or Virgil is about to take) through hell. It is as though hell warns us what to expect before we actually start our journey through it. We are warned that through these doors is the epitome of human suffering and sheer terror. This inscription tells us to abandon all hope before entering these gates. It is as though the words on these gates speak t o Virgil and challenge him to both enter the gates and prepare for what is ahead. I particularly like how the canto starts off with this inscription because even though we are two cantos in, this is truly where the journey begins. Not only does the journey really begin here, but it begins with a warning and sets the stage for what is to come. It is as though no matter what happens in the rest of the story hell gets to say “well hey I warned you.” I'm curious to see if Virgil actually “abandons all hope” or if he simply puts hope on the back burner while on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment