Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Ogre II

So there is this whole theme of “photography” and capturing souls by photographs. I find that rather interesting and somewhat mythical. I can't remember where it came from...but I know there is an old myth that photographs would capture the souls of people (a little weird...but still kind of mythical). Maybe that's why he wants to take so many pictures of the little kids in Paris—since he can't actually eat them.

I was also struck by his little tangent about little girls and how they don't really exist. I find that extremely interesting, especially since he doesn't make the same distinction between little boys and men. That whole speech just struck me as odd.

The other part that struck me as odd is they way he gives this “half truth” to the start of World War Ii (kind of like the half truth he gave the origin of the word monster.) Yes, Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, but the Austro-Hungarian Empire waited a month to retaliate. He forgets to mention Germany's violation of Belgium neutrality as a cause of World War II. (Or even France and Britain and their push for a war sooner rather than later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment